Thursday, March 3, 2011

sew crafty

i have been scared of the sewing machine my whole life.  my WHOLE life.  my sisters all took sewing in junior high and i don't ever remember thinking, "oh come on, if they can do it you can too."  no.  i've always been afraid that somehow that scaryfreaky needle would sew my fingers together and i would have to go to the emergency room and they wouldn't be able to fix them and i'd end up like django reinhardt.  but then, this christmas, i asked for sewing lessons.  and i realized that i had been anxious for no reason.  (which makes me realize that probably most of my fears are like that.)  i went to the fabric store for quilting fabric, which is kind of like going to the candy store only much healthier for you, although maybe not so much for your wallet.  and then i cut out all the fabric according to the pattern.  and then i started sewing.  and it is SO MUCH FUN.  i haven't sewn my fingers together once.  (knock on wood.)  so my quilt, a crib quilt (modest goals, modest goals) is turning out quite nicely and with the scraps i've made pot holders, which i'm really quite proud of.  i even made them without a pattern.  maybe i'll sell them on etsy.







No comments:

Post a Comment